Wednesday, June 22, 2022

June 22 - science and heresy sorta mix

 Draw me a map of our solar system... I don't care if you get the order of the planets right (I think it goes Venus, Mars then Earth... after that I'm lost).

But most importantly, you put the sun in the middle, right?

Well, the early Christians believed to think that was heresy.  Obviously, we're the most important thing, so we're in the centre.  But many scientists/astronomers tried to prove differently... like, look... math!

Galileo was one of these that believed in the heliocentric theory, and it was on this day in 1633 that with heavy threats by the Catholic church at the time he was forced to recant his beliefs in that theory... a scientist had to lie to save his own life.  Sad.

I'd love to say we've come a far way from that 4 centuries later, right?  Like, everybody listens to the scientists, openly... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment