Monday, October 10, 2005

Bayfield recap

Another Bayfield trip, another fun time.  As always.


Didn't start out that way... it had been a LONG day.  Teaching full time now means that I have to leave directly after my day of teachign.  I'm not used to that, Im' used to just taking off whenever I wanted.  Oh, well.  Couple this with the fact that Mandy was no longer coming, and I felt somewhat guilty in that aspect, so it was hard to enjoy it with a sense of guilt brooding over me.  But I did get over it.


It starts off with us getting there pretty late.. DARK roads, lots of deer, drunk passengers... makes for a great trip!  But, once we get there, it's a fun time.  Jarron re-starts up the cup game thingie, which the drummers take to pretty easily, whereas some of us pipers don't do so well.  We have video.  Email me, and I'll send it to you.


As, usual, the morning performance sucks.  It's cold, our pipes are near awful due to the cold and teh SUPER flattened sound it makes.  But the crowd still loves it.  I renew my hatred of the full uniform.  I can't get my pipes into my armpit any more, so there's pressure on my forearm and wrist to hold it in place.


After our performance we have a bit of 'downtime.'  Some go down to the shops in the town, some go mopedding... I sleep.  Seeing as I think I've had about 20hrs of combined sleep all week I use this time wisely.  I tried doing some work, but it wasn't gonna happen.  Sleep won.  Slept right up 'till it was supper time [great timing!] which was awesome.  It's just spaghetti, but it's SOO good.


Then we gear up for our evening performance.  Which I never understand fully as it seems to change every year.  What doesn't change is that we gear up and play for the Rittenhouse.  Always cool, and Jerry always provides free beverages!  We play down in the city and the crowds love us more.  Then it's back to the school [stupid hill!] and relax before we go to 'bar storm.'


Heather things ahead this time... Last year some crazy lady went around with those candy necklaces and kept trying to get us to have some of it.  So, Heather figured if we already had some, then we would have an easy 'out' for this lady.  Except... that when you're in a hot sweaty bar, these necklaces get sticky ... not so fun.  But the bars were good... played tons.  But it's definitely a different scene as of late.  Usually the Rum Line is PACKED with people and it's a good time.  This year it was pretty low key.  The pavillion was pretty packed, and we went on stage with the band again.  But nothing stands out to say that the night ROCKED.  No complaints tho'.


The after-bar party with us was great too.  We went to bed pretty early ... in the morning.  The parade was awful... not that it wasn't fun, just I hate those uni's.  They were only about 30m late in starting.  The route was just PACKED with people tho', they had to extend it about a few blocks to accomodate.  Soon thereafter we had to pack up and jet out.  Got home about 11:30 or so... and it was a nice ride.  I let Rory drive... so it was a change that I get to sit back and relax during it.


Now, I just got to take today [monday] to recover and get some of the school work I was supposed to do on the weekend finished.



No comments:

Post a Comment