Thursday, December 4, 2014

RIP Uncle Gord

So, my uncle Gord was laid to rest today.  I'm not one for emotional outpourings or anything, and I'm usually very quiet and solemn at these events.

But I wanted to share my memory of Uncle Gord with everybody in my own way.  I didn't get to know Uncle Gord as well as others had, and that's a shame; but what I do remember is that as early as I can remember I had some pretty big impressions of the guy.

I recall being young enough and learning that Gord had served in the army.  I didn't know anybody who had, so that was pretty significant to a young boy.  That, and he had not only served front line, but had parachuted ... and not only that he had been shot.  Nobody I know had done those things. He must have been invincible. Then the story of how he had even fallen off Mount MacKay without any broken bones.

I remember thinking that this was a strong, unbreakable man that I shouldn't mess with.

It's a shame to have lost him.

RIP

Sponchia, Robert "Bob or Gord"

Published:  
Tuesday, November 25, 2014
Sponchia , Robert "Bob or Gord"We announce the death of Robert (Bob or Gord) Sponchia on Sunday November 23, 2014 of Thunder Bay, Ontario leaving behind wife Violet Sponchia (Bemko), son Randy Sponchia, daughter Shelly R. Ladouceur and son-in-law Jason Ladouceur, as well as family Eddie, Frank, Richard, Danny, Billy, Donny, Norman, his sister Barbara and their significant others, as well as numerous nieces and nephews. Special thanks to Janice Lessy, those who contributed to his comfort during his time of need and Charmane Stout (Moore) with her family from Utah. He will be greeted in heaven by David (brother), Mary (mother), Carl (father), numerous other friends and family and fellow Comrades in Arms. He lived his life for those he loved by doing what he loved which included truck driving, serving his country in the Canadian Armed Forces, attending the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, spending time with his Robin’s Donuts buddies and of course blueberry picking. Robert will be interred at Mountain View Cemetery on Thursday, December 4, 2:00pm. Fruit baskets in lieu of flowers or a donation to the Thunder Bay Canadian Red Cross HELP program would be appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment