Monday, October 3, 2011

Teaching... or the absence thereof

Just went for a quick pop into the mall for a mid-afternoon break and I ran into a past student of mine.
Immediately she recognized me, and said hello.  We caught up a bit and I asked her what she was doing etc...

But what really caught me was that she did say that she enjoyed my class and how I made the subject matter relevant and easy to understand.

*sigh*

This is just after I had learned that I wasn't a successful candidate for a teaching position.  It's really sad, to have these anecdotal evidences of how proficient I am in a job, yet cannot fully realize that option.

How to deal with that?  I dunno... it was a real kick when she said before I walked away "at least you're still teaching", and it was hard not to walk back and have that long discussion about teaching and the "profession".

No comments:

Post a Comment