Friday, July 20, 2012

Camping trip 2012 - day 3

July 16 - Day 3

So it rained last night.... And it's still raining.... Hard

The dining tent was good for breakfast, but even it was getting drenched. So we've retreated to the tent some more. I've always felt like the fly on this tent was too taut... And in some areas I'm right. Now there's no drops in the tent... And fingers crossed that holds, but holy smokes it's coming down out there... And I'm starting to hear thunder now, so no sign of it letting up. 

There's talk of going to silver islet to help kill some time.

The rain let up enough to just stay raining even heavier.  As that eventually let up we headed out for a trip to silver islet... which has lost some of its lustre. We also decided on a quick check to the thunder bay lookout, which was nice as we got some cell service, so we called Grammy and grandpa, who were on their way out.
Heading back to the camp we smelled a fire, and as it turns out the inflator doesn't have an overcharging circuit and it was smoking in the back of the truck... yoiks.

Now the fun is watching Dean as we had the issue last year of him going every few minutes in his pants, this year he hasn't gone at all. He had an accident at the lookout and we broke a rule and let him go in the bushes... stinky.

He just had his second accident. D'oh!

In soon time my parents had come by and they brought with them a full dinner. Not necessary but appreciated. More appreciated was the ice packs they replenished for us.  After dinner my mom for to enjoy our roly poly bed (I.e. semi inflated mattress) and then we went to the beach for a quick look, but it was too cold so we played on the equipment. I then learned who taught Dean the under dog move on the swings.

After, we went to the store to kill time before the board game night; where grandpa bought two stuffed birds that make the sound of the birds they were. One was a loon (for himself) and the other a blue Jay (for Dean).  

Then it was time for the board games. It was already started and we were late... But we figured out what was going on. It was a nature version of taboo... Some of the parents helped fill us in. Some of the kids had a hard time trying to describe the item... And some grandparent (not Dean's) was having a hard time concentrating with all the racket. She was really into it. Let the people know that we were NOT on their team, but rather just happened to sit near, and a couple times asked my parents to be quiet. Fun. They left after hanging around a few more minutes... Then we cashed in for the night. No real drama that night except Dean rolled off the bed twice, I think... And Mandy snored way more than normal... Rough.

meet the snake in the visitor centre

dean loved this display of the silver mine

silver islet

view of the wet tent

Dean needed to make light necklaces so we can be safe at night

some craft time with Dean

teaching dean to play tic-tac-toe

teaching him to write his name (by connect the dots)

hot, hot, -- hot chocolate

Grandpa and Dean with their birds

camp, sweet camp

view from the 'lookout'

Dean and Mandy hamming it up at the lookout point

the view down from the lookout point (I was so scared about dropping my phone)

No comments:

Post a Comment